Apache Libcloud is a standard Python library that abstracts away differences among multiple cloud provider APIs
“libcloud represents a fundamental change in the way clouds are managed, breaking the barriers of proprietary, closed clouds. We at Linode believe this is of the utmost importance and fully support this effort.”
- Christopher S. Aker, Linode, Founder
“Libcloud will make life easier for our customers. We appreciate and support this standardization tool.”
- Matt Tanase, Slicehost, Founder
“I’m excited to see the development of projects, like libcloud, that help make the lives of the cloud computing community easier by offering a standardized way to communicate with their provider of choice.”
- Bret Piatt, Rackspace, Technical Alliance Manager
“We believe in an open cloud and are thrilled to see libcloud push the movement forward.”
- Paul Lancaster, GoGrid, Business Development Manager
Apache Libcloud is a standard Python library that abstracts away differences among multiple cloud provider APIs.
The current version allows users to manage four different cloud resources:
- Cloud Servers – services such as Amazon EC2 and Rackspace CloudServers (libcloud.compute.*)
- Cloud Storage – services such as Amazon S3 and Rackspace CloudFiles (libcloud.storage.*)
- Load Balancers as a Service, LBaaS (libcloud.loadbalancer.*)
- DNS as a Service, DNSaaS (libcloud.dns.*)
Compute part of the library is the oldest one and it currently supports more than 26 different providers.
For a full list of the supported providers functionality, please see the Supported Providers page.