A community driven list of useful Scala libraries, frameworks and software. This is not a catalog of all the libraries, just a starting point for your explorations. Inspired by awesome-python. Other amazingly awesome lists can be found in the awesome-awesomeness list.
- Awesome Scala
Database access libraries in Scala.
- ScalikeJDBC — A tidy SQL-based DB access library for Scala developers.
- Slick — Modern database query and access library for Scala.
- Squeryl — A Scala DSL for talking with databases with minimum verbosity and maximum type safety.
- Activate — Pluggable object persistence in Scala.
- Scala ActiveRecord — ORM library for scala, inspired by ActiveRecord of Ruby on Rails.
- PostgreSQL and MySQL async — Async database drivers to talk to PostgreSQL and MySQL in Scala.
- ReactiveMongo — Reactive Scala Driver for MongoDB.
- Phantom — Async type safe Scala DSL for Apache Cassandra.
- ReactiveCouchbase — Reactive Scala Driver for Couchbase. Also includes a Play plug-in. An official plug-in is also in development.
- Salat — ORM for MongoDB. A related Play-plugin is also available.
- Sorm — A functional boilerplate-free Scala ORM.
Scala frameworks for web development.
- Play — Makes it easy to build scalable, fast and real-time web applications with Java & Scala.
- Lift — Secure and powerful full stack web framework (discussion).
- Skinny Framework — A full-stack web app framework upon Scalatra for rapid Development in Scala.
- Scalatra — Tiny Scala high-performance, async web framework, inspired by Sinatra.
- Spray — A suite of scala libraries for building and consuming RESTful web services on top of Akka.
- Finatra — A sinatra-inspired web framework for scala, running on top of Finagle.
- Reactive — FRP and web abstractions, which can be plugged into any web framework (currently only has bindings for Lift).
- Chaos — A lightweight framework for writing REST services in Scala.
- Xitrum — An async and clustered Scala web framework and HTTP(S) server fusion on top of Netty, Akka, and Hazelcast.
- Unfiltered — A modular set of unopinionated primitives for servicing HTTP and WebSocket requests in Scala.
Scala libraries for i18n.
- Scaposer – GNU Gettext .po file loader for Scala.
- scala-xgettext – A compiler plugin that acts like GNU xgettext command to extract i18n strings in Scala source code files to Gettext .po file.
Libraries for implementing authentications schemes.
- scala-oauth2-provider — OAuth 2.0 server-side implementation written in Scala.
- SecureSocial — A module that provides OAuth, OAuth2 and OpenID authentication for Play Framework applications.
- play2-auth — Play2.x Authentication and Authorization module.
- play-pac4j — Profile & Authentication Client in Scala for CAS, OAuth, OpenID, SAML & HTTP protocols and Play 2.x framework.
Libraries for code testing.
- ScalaCheck — Property-based testing for Scala.
- ScalaTest — A testing tool for Scala and Java developers.
- ScalaMeter – Performance & memory footprint measuring, regression testing.
- Specs2 — Software Specifications for Scala.
- µTest — A tiny, portable testing library for Scala.
- Scalive — Connect a Scala REPL to running JVM processes without any prior setup; this library is used for inspecting systems in production mode.
- Scalastyle – Scala style checker.
- Gatling – Async Scala-Akka-Netty based Stress Tool.
Libraries for work with json.
- json4s — Project aims to provide a single AST to be used by other scala json libraries.
- spray-json — Lightweight, clean and efficient JSON implementation in Scala.
- argonaut — Purely Functional JSON in Scala.
- jackson-module-scala — Add-on module for Jackson to support Scala-specific datatypes.
- play-json — Flexible and powerful JSON manipulation, validation and serialization, with no reflection at runtime.
Libraries for serializing and deserializing data for storage or transport.
- Pickling — Fast, customizable, boilerplate-free pickling support.
- scodec — A combinator library for working with binary data.
- Scrooge — An Apache Thrift code generator for Scala.
- validation — Advanced validation & serialization for JSON, HTML form data, etc, with no reflection at runtime.
Libraries for scientific computing, data analysis and numerical processing.
- Algebird — Abstract Algebra for Scala.
- Breeze — Breeze is a numerical processing library for Scala.
- FACTORIE — A toolkit for deployable probabilistic modeling, implemented as a software library in Scala.
- Figaro – Figaro is a probabilistic programming language that supports development of very rich probabilistic models.
- MGO — Modular multi-objective evolutionary algorithm optimization library enforcing immutability.
- MLLib — Machine Learning framework for Spark
- Saddle — A minimalist port of Pandas to Scala
- Spire — Powerful new number types and numeric abstractions for Scala.
- Squants — The Scala API for Quantities, Units of Measure and Dimensional Analysis.
- Spark — Lightning fast cluster computing — up to 100x faster than Hadoop for iterative algorithms (memory caching) and up to 10x faster than Hadoop for single-pass MapReduce jobs. Compatible with YARN-enabled Hadoop clusters, can run on Mesos and in stand-alone mode as well.
- Scalding — A Scala binding for the Cascading abstraction of Hadoop MapReduce.
- Summingbird — An implementation of the “lambda architecture” as a software abstraction — a single API for Hadoop and Storm.
- Scrunch — A Scala wrapper for Apache Crunch which provides a framework for writing, testing, and running MapReduce pipelines.
- GridScale — A Scala API for computing clusters and grids.
- scoozie — Scala DSL on top of Oozie XML.
Event streams, signals, observables, etc.
- Scala.Rx — An experimental library for Functional Reactive Programming in Scala (reactive variables). Scala.js compatible.
- scala.frp — Functional Reactive Programming for Scala (event streams).
- RxJava-Scala — Scala Adaptor for RxJava.
- Reactive Collections – A library that incorporates event streams and signals with specialized collections called reactive containers, and expresses concurrency using isolates and channels.
Modularization of applications, dependency injection, etc.
- Domino — Write elegant OSGi bundle activators in Scala.
- Sclasner – Scala classpath scanner.
- Scaldi — Lightweight Scala Dependency Injection Library.
- MacWire — Scala Macro to generate wiring code for class instantiation. DI container replacement.
- SubCut — Scala Uniquely Bound Classes Under Traits.
Libraries and frameworks for writing distributed applications.
- Akka — A toolkit and runtime for building highly concurrent, distributed, and fault tolerant event-driven applications.
- Finagle — An extensible, protocol-agnostic RPC system designed for high performance and concurrency.
- Glokka – Library to register and lookup actors by names in an Akka cluster.
- Scalaz — An extension to the core Scala library for functional programming.
- Shapeless — A type class and dependent type based generic programming library for Scala.
- Twitter Util — General-purpose Scala libraries, including a future implementation and other concurrency tools.
- Scala Async — An asynchronous programming facility for Scala.
- Resolvable — A library to optimize fetching immutable data structures from several endpoints in several formats.
- Scala Blitz – A library to speed up Scala collection operations by removing runtime overheads during compilation, and a custom data-parallel operation runtime.
- Log4s – Fast, Scala-friendly logging bindings on top of SLF4J. Uses macros for extreme performance.
- Lamma – A Scala date library for date and schedule generation.
- Scala Graph – A Scala library with basic graph functionality that seamlessly fits into the Scala standard collections library
- Cassovary – A Scala library that is designed from the ground up for space efficiency, handling graphs with billions of nodes and edges.
Scala libraries and wrappers for Android development.
- Scaloid — Less painful Android development with Scala.
- Macroid — A modular functional UI language for Android.
- Android SDK Plugin for SBT — An sbt plugin that adds tasks for developing Android applications.
Scala libraries and wrappers for HTTP clients.
- Dispatch — Library for asynchronous HTTP interaction. It provides a Scala vocabulary for Java’sasync-http-client.
- Netcaty – Simple net test client/server for Netty and Scala lovers.
- Scalaxb — An XML data-binding tool for Scala that supports W3C XML Schema (xsd) and Web Services Description Language (wsdl) as the input file.
- Spray — Actor-based library for http interaction.
- Tubesocks — Library supporting bi-directional communication with websocket servers.
- scalaj-http – Simple scala wrapper for HttpURLConnection (including OAuth support).
- Finch.io — Purely Functional REST API atop of Finagle.
- Newman — A REST DSL that tries to take the best from Dispatch, Finagle and Apache HttpClient. See here for rationale.
Scala libraries for interactions with the Web of Data, and other RDF tools
- Banana-RDF – Scala-friendly abstractions for RDF and Linked Data technologies. Supports Jena, Sesame and native Scala.
Scala libraries for gathering metrics and monitoring applications.
- Kamon – Gathering metrics from applications built with Akka, Spray and Play! with support for user metrics as well.
Sbt plugins to make your life easier
- Sbt-Revolver – Fork & Stop processes from sbt.
- Sbt-Eclipse – Create Eclipse project definitions from sbt builds.
- Sbt-Native-Packager – Bundle up Scala software for native packaging systems, like deb, rpm, homebrew, msi..
- Sbt-Dependency-Graph – Create a dependency graph for your project.
- Sbt-One-Jar – Packages your project using One-JAR™.
- Sbt-Start-Script – Create a “start” script to run the program.
- ScalaKata – Scala playground & Documentation tool.
- WartRemover – Flexible Scala code linting tool.
Your contributions are always welcome! Please submit a pull request or create an issue to add a new framework, library or software to the list. Do not submit a project that hasn’t been updated in the past 6 months or is not awesome.